My experiences related to teaching children have mostly been through my volunteer work. I spent an entire summer volunteering at a summer camp program which offered me the opportunity to engage with school-age children. I was a part of planning and implementing daily activities that fostered social, emotional, and academic growth. This experience encouraged me to seek other opportunities that would be more diverse. I engaged myself as a teacher’s aid in my high school homework club and was able to see how a teacher can help a group of children succeed in their learning. Another opportunity included my volunteer work in a daytime learning program, for children who are home-schooled in a group setting. My most memorable volunteer experience was at two elementary schools during our graduation trip to Guatemala. This allowed me to see the importance of education worldwide and opened my eyes to how each classroom is different. The bond that was formed with those students will forever have an impact on my life. My most recent experience with teaching has been through my field experience at École Robb Road with grade four French immersion students. I was there all day every Wednesday from September until December. I was able to learn so much from this opportunity; it allowed me to understand how teaching works on a day-to-day basis. I also had the chance to watch many lessons which furthered my knowledge of teaching. This experience also gave me many opportunities to help children and play the role of a teacher in many different ways, such as answering questions, guiding students on homework and projects, being a leader, and so much more!

All of these opportunities have increased my love and passion for teaching children. I believe that these experiences and the knowledge I have acquired from each one will benefit me as I pursue my Bachelor of Education. Each learning experience offered me the chance to grow, learn and prepare myself for the emotional journey ahead.